Steamed Golden Sponge Pudding
Member recipe by anna2007
- 250g self raising flour
- 250g castor sugar
- 250g butter or margerine softened
- 4 large eggs beaten
- golden syrup
- 1 scant tsp of baking powder
- In a food processor or mixing bowl mix the butter or margerine and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs until throughly mixed and then add the self raising flour and baking powder until mixed through.
- Grease a large pudding basin with margerine or butter. Pour in golden syrup until it comes halfway up the sides. Pour in the sponge mixture. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil and tie with string. Make two holes in the foil. Cover the saucepan with a lid.
- Put the bowl into a large saucepan and fill with water. Put the saucepan onto a stove and bring up to the boil. Turn down the heat so that it is simmering. Keep checking the water levels and do not allow to boil dry. If necessary pour more water in until halfway up the saucepan. Cook for about 1 hour to 1 and half hours. The pudding is cooked when a skewer inserted into the pudding comes out clean.
- Remove the foil, and scrape around the bowl. Place a flat plate on top of the basin and invert.Take care when doing this. Serve with cream or custard.