- 6 skinless chicken drumsticks and 6 skinless chicken thighs
- zest and juice 1 lime
The same shape, but smaller than…
- 2 lemongrass, very roughly chopped
- 2 thumb-size chunks ginger, very roughly chopped
Mainly grown in Jamaica, Africa, India, China and Australia, ginger is the root of the plant. It…
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp peanut butter, crunchy or smooth
- ½ tsp each turmeric and ground cumin
Turmeric is a fragrant, bright golden-yellow root that is most commonly seen and used dried and…
- 160ml can coconut cream
- 20g pack coriander, plus extra to serve, if you like
- a little oil, for greasing
- sweet chilli sauce or mango chutney, to serve
Slash several deep cuts into each drumstick and thigh, then put into a large, non-metallic container. Put the lime zest and juice, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, peanut butter, spices, coconut cream and 1 tsp salt into a food processor, then whizz until it’s as smooth as you can get it. Roughly chop the coriander leaves and finely chop the stalks, then add to the mix. Pour the marinade over the chicken, massage it into the meat with your hands, then leave to chill for at least 2 hrs, or up to 24 hrs if you have time.
Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Line 1-2 large baking trays with foil and grease with a little oil. Spread out the chicken over the trays, skin-side up, and roast for 1 hr, or until the chicken is cooked through and the coating golden and slightly charred in places. Cool, then chill well and pack in a container, ready to transport. Scatter with a few more coriander leaves to serve, if you like.
Serve with...A ready-made rice or noodle salad, or a simple bowl of chopped tomatoes and torn mint, tossed with cumin seeds, a little oil and a squeeze of lime.