Garlic Lamb Shanks in Red Wine
Member recipe by imabadpixie
An Alternative for Sunday Lunch or an impressive dinner party show piece -this easy lamb shank receipe with Roast Garlic, Veg and Red Wine will put a smile on your face whatever the occassion.
- 4 Good quality, meaty lamb shanks
- 2tbs Oil, ideally Vegetable
- 1 Large Leek, sliced or 3 Small onions if you can't get a Leek
- 2 Large Carrots
- 10 Garlic cloves finely sliced
- 300ml Red Wine
- 100g butter - divided into 5
- 5 sprigs of Thyme (1 per shank)
- a handfull of Dill
- 5 springs of Rosemary (1 per shank)
- 1 tsb Salt
- 3 tsb cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5. For each shank tear off enough foil to wrap the shank- gathering at the top. Place a shank on each piece of foil and pull sightly on the edges of the foil so the shanks are sitting in little foil 'bowls'. Make a few incisions into the lamb shanks on the top sides.
- stuff the underside of each shank with the butter, thyme, dill, a few garlic slithers, half the rosemary and a little pepper.
- Push the remaining rosemary and garlic into the top side incision and scatter any residual on the foil.
- Mix the oil, salt and left over pepper and pour evenly over each shank - perhaps encouraging it into the incisions if you can.
- Scatter the leek and carrots onto the foil; pour over the red wine (just a little per shank), close up the packages and place onto baking trays (just incase the foil leaks!).
- Bake in the oven for at least 4 hours- checking every so often. In the remaining hour you may want to unseal the foil.
- This is yummy with sweet potato mash... and dont forget that once cooked, the juice let in the foil can be used as a gravy!