Old fashioned pappardelle
Member recipe by sigridverbert
An old fashioned 'ragu' full of spices, great for a rainy-day italian treat
- 400g egg pappardelle or fettuccine
- 300g chicken livers and hearts
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic
- 1 glass of red wine (such as chianti)
- 300ml tomato passata
- 1 pinch dried thym and rosemary
- 20g dark chocolate
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coffee
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1 pinch cloves
- 1 tbsp butter
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Cut the chicken livers and the hearts into small chunks. Chop the onion together with the garlic, heat 4 tbsp olive oil and the butter in a large pan, add the chopped onion and the garlic, stir for about 2 minutes untill slightly golden.
- Add the chicken livers, stir on medium/high heat for 2 minutes, then add the wine and let it to evaporate.
- Add the passata, all the spices and herbs, and let the sauce cook on medium/low heat for about 25 minutes, add salt & pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil about 5 liters salted water, cook the pappardelle untill al dente, drain, and add the pasta, toss over high heat for 30 seconds, then serve with a few drops truffle-sented olive oil and some grated parmesa or pecorino on the side.