Spring Lamb Casserole
Member recipe by elaineoconnell
- 1 kg shoulder of lamb in fist-sized pieces
- 50g flour - seasoned
- 6 tomatoes, deseeded, skinned and chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 bottle of white wine
- 500ml stock
- Salt and pepper
- 100-150g of spring vegetables
- Broad beans
- Baby turnips - cut into quarters
- 50g butter
- 50ml oil
- Coat the meat in the seasoned flour, shake off the excess flour
- Heat some oil in a heavy based casserole dish and brown the lamb really well on all sides.
- Remove the lamb from the pan and pour in the bottle of white wine, scrape any meaty bits off the bottom of the pan and reduce the wine by half.
- Add the stock, onions, tomatoes, garlic and meat to the wine and heat through gently on the hob. Check seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Cover the casserole dish and put into a preheated oven for about an hour-and-a-half at 180ÃÂÃÂ°C. Once the cooking is finished, take it out of the oven.
- With a slotted spoon take the meat out of the sauce and put on a plate to one side.
- Pass the sauce through a sieve; discard the vegetables and bouquet garni what is in the sieve
- Return the sauce to the pan and reduce slightly and thicken it with a little flour if necessary. Check flavour and adjust seasoning to taste if you need to
- Once the sauce has been corrected and cooked through, return the meat to the sauce, gently heat through and add the spring vegetables.