Easy peasy supper.
Member recipe by becca26
- 2 cups of dried pasta, e.g. fussili
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 a head of broccoli, chopped into bite sized peices
- 50g butter
- 50g flour
- 1 pint milk
- 100-150g of cheddar cheese(depends how strong the cheese is)
- salt and pepper and a pinch if cayenne pepper.
- A handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped.
- Put the pasta into a large pan of salted boiling water and cook according to the packs instructions. About 4 minutes before the pasta is cooked add in the broccoli. Add the peas for the last minute of cooking.
- Put the butter into a medium size pan over a medium heat to melt, once melted add in the flour and whisk. This will make a roux to which you can add milk or stock to make the base of many sauces.
- To the roux add the cold milk a bit at a time over the heat, whisking vigorously to avoid lumps. When all the milk is added season with salt, black pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper for an extra kick.
- Grate the cheese and stir it into the hot sauce until melted.
- Drain the pasta and veg and put it back in the pan, pour on the cheese sauce and stir through the fresh parsley. Serve immediately