Member recipe by hunkydory
This is a very quick and easy Tiramisu recipe passed on to me from my cousen's Italian wife!
- 5 medium eggs
- 5 tablespoons of castor sugar
- 5 teaspoons of castor sugar
- 500g mascarpone cheese
- 500ml expresso coffee
- Pavasini Biscuits
- Masala to taste
- Cocoa powder to dust
- Make up a pot of expresso coffee and add the 5 teaspoons of castor sugar. Allow to cool.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks into two separate bowls.
- Whisk up the egg whites, adding the 5 tablespoons of castor sugar in gradually until they form lovely stiff meringuey peaks.
- Whisk up the egg yolks until they are thick and creamy and about triple the amount they were (this can take a good 5/10 mins of whisking, but worth it)!
- Add the mascarpone cheese to the beaten egg yolk mixture.
- Then combine that with the egg white mixture.
- You should have a lovely creamy mixture, not too runny or too thick. Then add the Masala to the mixture - enough to suit your tastebuds. For me it is a good few tablespoons!
- Now get a large rectangular bowl roughly 20cm by 30cm and 5cms deep.
- Place a thin layer of the cream mixture on the bottom, then dip your biscuits into the cooled coffee, one at a time, and place a layer of biscuits across the bottom of the dish. Add a cream layer, then another biscuit layer, continue and then finish with a cream layer. Dust the top with cocoa. Place in the fridge to set for a few hours or cover and freeze straightaway and just get it out a few hours before you need to serve it.
- I can get about 3 layers of biscuit in this size dish but you may find with thicker sponge fingers it may be less. Try your local Italian deli for the Pavasini bisucits. Plus I have made it in the large foil trays you can buy and frozen it for parties too.