Member recipe by jan-bcu
A tasty mix of Swedish meatballs, Jersey Royal potatoes and cream, subtly spicy with a savoury cheese topping.
- 10 - 12 Jersey Royal potatoes, halved if large
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Knob of butter
- Half a pack of chilled Swedish meatballs (approx. 15)
- Small tub of fresh single cream
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- Approx. 80g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 170C/gas 6. Wash the potatoes, but do not peel or scrape. Halve any large ones. Place in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the shallots, and peel and crush the garlic clove. Melt a large knob of butter in a small frying pan and fry the shallots and garlic over a low heat until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and place into a 2-litre ovenproof dish; then stir in the shallots and garlic and any remaining butter.
- Stir in the meatballs and cream; then sprinkle in a tbsp paprika and plenty of freshly-ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the mixture.
- Put into the preheated oven on the middle shelf and cook for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve immediately with a green vegetable such as French beans or broccoli.