Microwave Shepherds Pie
Member recipe by jessbass
Shepherds pie made entirely on the hob and in the microwave, essential when the oven broke !
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 onion, grated
- 4-5 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 500g lamb mince
- handful dried rosemary
- dash of worcester sauce
- 1/4 tube tomato puree
- Dash red wine
- 4-6 large flowery potatoes
- Chedder cheese
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Knob of butter
- 2 egg whites
- Put the potatoes in a lidded microwave bowl with a little water and microwave on high for ten minutes.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in a large pan or wok, add the grated onion and carrot and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushroom and the minced lamb and fry until the lamb is brown.
- Add the wine, worcester sauce, tomato puree and rosemary and leave to simmer for 5-10 minutes, turn off the heat when the liquid has reduced to almost nothing.
- Mash the potatoes with a knob of butter and two egg whites.
- Put the lamb mixture into a large microwave dish. Spoon the mash on top and run a fork over the mash to make little peaks, top with the cheese.
- Microwave on hire for 5 minutes. For best results also grill for 2 minutes.
- Serve with mixed salad or seasonal greens. I usually make it for two and keep half in the fridge for lunch the following day.