Tomato soup with blue cheese
Member recipe by meglam
Hearty tomato soup. Great for a cold winter's evening. A meal on its own.
- 2 tins of cubed tomatoes
- 1.5 litres of vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp dried herbs provencale
- 3 onions sliced into rings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150 g roquefort or other blue cheese, cut into cubes
- 4 slices of whole grain bread, cut into cubes
- 100 g grated cheddar or other grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C. Heat the oil in a ovenproof saucepan on the hob. Fry the onion rings until they are slightly glazed.
- Assemble the soup: Crumble the roquefort cheese over the onion rings, then pour the 2 tins of cubed tomatoes into the saucepan, pour over the vegetable stock and add the herbs. Season with some salt and pepper. Then give the soup a good stir, bring it to the boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take the saucepan from the hob, scatter the cubes of bread over the soup and then the cheddar.
- Place the saucepan into the oven for 20 minutes. Serve with some crusty bread.