The Best Chocolate Cake
Member recipe by zoeleanne84
Rich gorgeous yummy chocolate loaf cake, perfect warmed with custard or vanilla ice cream!
- 225g unsalted butter
- 375g dark muscavado sugar
- 2 large eggs- beaten
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 100g best dark chocolate- melted and cooled
- 200g plain flour
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Can swap vanilla extract for orange essence, coffee etc
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees c, grease and line a loaf tin. Cream the butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla, beating in well.
- Fold in melted and cooled chocolate, taking care to blend well but not overbeat.
- You want the ingredients combined but you don't want a light and airy mass. Gently add the flour and bicarbonate of soda, alternately spoon by spoon with 250ml boiling water until you have a smooth and fairly liquid batter.
- Pour into lined loaf tin and bake for 30mins. Turn oven down to 170 and cook for another 15mins. Cake should be squidgy inside so cake skewer won't come out clean.
- Place loaf tin on a rack and leave to get completely cold before turning it out. Improves when left for a day or two. Will probably sink in middle because of it's denseness