Knafeh bil Jibne
Member recipe by mariannaf
- 500 - 800gr raw knafeh
- 200gr akkawi cheese, diced
- 200gr haloumi cheese, diced
- 200gr butter, melted
- Pistachios, crushed (optional)
- *If you cannot find akkawi and haloumi, replace with mozzarella.
- For the syrup:
- Equal amounts of sugar & water
- Orange-blossom water
- 48 hours before, soak the akkawi & haloumi cheese in a bowl of water, keep in the fridge. This is to remove any saltiness. If you can't find these cheeses, use mozzarella instead and skip the soaking part.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Shred the raw knafeh in a mixer until fine. Mix the shredded knafeh with lots of butter until well coated- it needs to literally soak in butter. Split the butter-coated knafeh into two equal amounts.
- Spread out one part of the knafeh onto a parchment paper lined baking tray. Then add the diced cheese, and finish off by covering with a layer of the remaining knafeh.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180C, then check every 5 minutes. It is ready when it has become of a deep golden colour. During baking time, prepare the syrup by placing equal amounts of sugar and water into a deep pan and boil for a good 10 mins (until itÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂs texture is rather thick). At the end, add some orange blossom or rose water to the syrup.
- Once out of the oven, immediately pour over the syrup- generously. Sprinkle with some crushed pistachios and enjoy! A visual guide available at http://swirlandscramble.blogspot.com/2010/06/cant-get-enough-of-knafeh-bil-jibne.html