Sri Lankan Cashew Nut Mix
Member recipe by hobbychef
ServingsServes 1 - 10 Portions
Fed up of boring peanuts or pistachio nuts to go with your aperitif? Why not try this piquant alternative instead..
- 2 large red onions sliced
- Chilli Powder
- Coarse Sea Salt
- 500g cashew nuts
- 20 fresh or dry curry leaves
- 1 Litre Sunflower Oil
- 1 stalk of fresh or dry Rampe Leaf (optional: available in Srilankan stores)
- In a large bowl mix the red onions with the salt and chilli powder, enough so that it tastes seasoned.
- Heat the oil in a wok and then deep fry the onions until golden. Remove with a slotted soon, and put into a bowl lined with kitchen paper to drain the oil.
- Deep fry the curry leaves and rampe leaf for a few seconds and put into the same bowl.
- Deep fry the cashew nuts for no longer than 20 seconds until they turn golden brown and tip into the same bowl.
- Dab some more kitchen paper on the top of the mixture to drain excess oil, then toss together. If necesary, add more salt and chilli. Store in an air tight jar at room temperature. It keeps for 2 weeks.