Vanilla Apple Sponge
Member recipe by janerollinson
This is a nice sponge with custard or cream, or as a cake with a cuppa.
- 250g sugar
- 250g unsalted butter
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 vanilla pod, split and deseeded (save the seeds)
- 4 eggs
- 4 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- a quarter of a tsp of ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180C/fan 160C/Gas 4.
- Grease a 30cm springform round cake tin, and line with greaseproof paper.
- Whisk the sugar and butter together until the mixture turns pale.
- Fold in the flour and the vanilla seeds.
- Mix in the eggs until you get a batter, then pour into the cake tin.
- Place the apple wedges halfway into the batter, sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon and bake for 35-40 mins.