Nonna knows best
Member recipe by sagraincasa
My Neapolitan grandmother always told me that the origin of Parmigiana di melanzane (eggplant parmigiana) there was no doubt, came from Napoli.
- 1kg aubergines long
- 1 bottle of tomato sauce
- 1 small can of tomato pulp cut into small pieces
- basil leaves
- extra virgin olive oil
- 700 grams of mozzarella cheese
- 30g grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt ,pepper
- Wash and slice the eggplants horizontally along their length, not too thin. Place them in a colander with salt. Put on a weight and leave so the bitter juice drains ,for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile in a pan fry oil and garlic, pour the tomato sauce and pulp ,a pinch of salt and some basil leaves. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the eggplant and dry with paper towels. Roll in flour the eggplant on both sides and fry in plenty of oil for a couple of minutes. With paper towels wipe off the excess oil and set aside. Cut the mozzarella into slices and set aside.
- In baking pan, preferably square or rectangular, add a drizzle of olive oil. Pour in a layer of tomato sauce, place a row of eggplant to cover the whole base of the pan. Lay over the top a row of sliced mozzarella, a couple of handfuls of Parmesan and some basil leaves. A dash of salt and pepper. Now start over again with tomatoes, eggplant, then mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, basil, salt and pepper. Continue until the end of the ingredients .Cover with a handful of Parmesan cheese and then bake at 200 degrees for 20 minutes.