- 800g (or 2 x 400g) bloomer loaf
- olive oil, for drizzling
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 2 tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 200g provolone cheese, sliced (if you can't find this, just use 2 balls of mozzarella instead of 1)
- 140g your favourite sliced ham
- selection of favourite pizza toppings, such as olives, antipasti peppers, artichokes or aubergine slices
- 1 ball mozzarella, sliced
- crisps, small gherkins and cocktail pickled onions, to serve
Split the loaf through the middle, leaving it attached at one side, and open it up like a book. Scrape away some of the soft bread inside (use to make breadcrumbs), then drizzle generously with olive oil. Spread the tomato paste over both sides, then start layering up your fillings on top. Start with the provolone and ham, then add any of your favourite pizza toppings, if you like, finishing with the mozzarella. Scatter with oregano, season with salt and pepper, then carefully close the sandwich and squash it down with your hands to flatten. Wrap tightly in foil. Can be made up to a day ahead and chilled.
To serve, heat oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 4. Place the foil-wrapped sandwich onto the oven shelf and bake for 30 mins from room temperature or 35 mins from the fridge. Lift onto a board, unwrap, then slice into roughly 6 sandwiches. Serve with bowls of crisps, gherkins and pickled onions and let everyone help themselves.