Choc and Almond Polenta Cake
Member recipe by e_leachums
ServingsServes 1 - 10 Slices
A moist and chocolatey cake that combines a womans two loves - chocolate and Italian food!
- 50g quick cook polenta (or one packet ready made polenta)
- 200g plain chocolate
- 5 eggs separated
- 175g caster sugar
- 115g ground almonds
- 4tbsp plain flour
- rind of one orange
- 115g blanched almonds
- icing sugar and glace cherries, for decoration
- Place the polenta in a bowl and add enough boiling water just to cover. Stir well, cover and leave to stand until all the water is absorbed (approx 30 mins). If using ready made polenta move directly to step 2.
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F and grease and line the base of a round deep cake tin 8.5 inches/22 cm
- Break the chocolate into pieces and melt in a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water
- Whisk together the egg yolks and caster sugar until the mixture is thick and pale. Beat in the melted chocolate then fold in the moistened polenta, ground almonds, flour and orange rind
- Whisk he egg whites in a clean grease free bowl until stiff. Lightly stir in 1 tbsp of the whites into the chocolate cake mixture and then fold in the rest followed by the blanched almonds.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 45-55 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch. Cool on a rack then dust with icing sugar and the cherries.