Cranberry and Orange scones
Member recipe by blulou
ServingsServes 1 - 8
Truly tasty scones and a truly special basic that you can make your own.
- 350g self raising flour
- 85g caster sugar
- 85g butter
- zest of 1 orange
- 30g dried cranberries
- 175ml natural yoghurt, whatever you have
- Egg or milk to brush top of scones with
- 1-2 tbsp of demerara sugar
- Heat oven 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Grease a large baking sheet.
- Mix the sugar with the flour, then rub in the butter till mix resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Toss the cranberries and zest together with a small amount of flour and stir into the mix.
- Make a well in the centre and tip in the yoghurt. Mix to form a soft dough then knead on floured surface briefly.
- Press or roll out the dough to a thickness of 2cm then cut into scones using a cutter. Dip the cutter briefly into flour to stop the dough sticking, then place on the baking sheet.
- Mix one beaten egg with a splash of water to make an egg wash or just use milk alone, then brush the tops of the scones. Be careful not to let run over sides as this affects the scones rising. Sprinkly over the demerara sugar.
- Bake in the centre of the over for about 15mins until golden brown and well risen. Leave to cool then serve spread with butter.
- TIP - you can change the flavour to any you prefer, if you want plain for serving with jam and cream, leave out fruit and add 1 tsp vanilla extract. Lemon zest and raisins are also very good.