Chicken and sweetcorn pie
Member recipe by rachelpuddefoot
A delicious chicken and sweetcorn pie, with cardamom pods and chunks of bacon in the sauce.
- For the pastry
- 200g plain flour
- 100g butter
- 2-3 tbsp water
- a little milk for brushing the lid of the pie.
- For the white sauce
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- For the rest of the filling
- 25g butter
- 2 chicken fillets, cut into 2cm cubes
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small tin sweetcorn
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F / gas 4.
- Make the pastry: Mix the flour and butter together into a crumbly mixture. Add the water a little at a time and mix to a smooth dough. Divide the dough into two pieces. Roll the first out on a clean, floured surface using a well floured rolling pin and line the pie dish. Bake blind for 20 mins. Keep the other lump of dough wrapped in clingfilm in the fridge for now.
- Meanwhile make the filling: Melt the butter in a frying pan and cook the chopped onion for 5 minutes until softened. Add the bacon and fry for a further 5 minutes. Finally add the chicken and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the chicken pieces are golden brown. Drain and put to one side.
- Make a white sauce: In a small saucepan melt the butter on a gentle heat, and gradually stir in the flour to make a roux. Add the milk a little at a time, whisking as you go to avoid lumps.
- Open the cardomom pods with a sharp knife and discard the pod cases. Crush the middles using a pestle and mortar. Add the nutmeg and stir into the white sauce.
- Mix the chicken, bacon and onions into the white sauce. Drain the tin of sweetcorn. Add this in and mix well.
- Pour the filling into the cooked pastry case. Roll out the other piece of dough into a lid for the top of the pie. Brush with a little milk and bake for a further 45 minutes.