Mulled Wine / "Gluehwein" Jam
Member recipe by zetallgerman
ServingsServes 1 - 4 Jars
- 1.2kg tangy apples (or half apples / half plums)
- 600ml red wine (or red grape juice for kids)
- 200ml orange juice
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1 tsp powder)
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 2 vanilla pod, with seeds
- 900g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3-4 tbsp raisins
- Peel and core apples; then cut into cubes. (de-stone the plums)
- Add all ingredients to a tall pot (be careful, jam tends to rise a lot whilst boiling!) and bring to the boil. Stir occasionallyl.
- Put a small saucer into the freezer (it will make sense soon...)
- Once bubbling, leave to boil vigorously for about 50min. To test whether the jam has "set", take a teaspoon full and drizzle it onto the cold saucer. If you can touch the surface after a few seconds and it doesn't run when tilting the saucer, it has set. If not, keep boiling for another minute and then test it again.
- Once it has set, remove the cloves, vanilla pod and cinnamon stick (if using). If you like a smooth jam, you can now blend it.
- Skim any scum that has risen to the surface and fill the jam into 4 sterilized jars.
- Close the jars and place them upside down for about 15min (this ensures that the lids create a tight vacuum). Merry Christmas!
- If you've sterilised and sealed your jars properly the jam should last for up to a year unopened. Once opened, store in the fridge.