Swedes Citrus Treacle Tart
Member recipe by jswedo
- Pastry case for 22cm tart tin:
- 120g plain flour.
- 60g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes.
- Pinch of salt.
- Cold Water.
- Treacle Filling:
- 500g golden syrup.
- 30g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes.
- 1 large egg, beaten.
- 3 tbsp double cream.
- Zest of 2 lemons, grated.
- Course Breadcrumbs/Oats, 4-5 heaped tbsp.
- Runny Marmalade, enough to lightly cover pastry case base.
- Preheat oven to 190C lightly grease a 22cm tart tin.
- To make the pastry case. Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a food processor then add the cold butter. Process for approx 20 seconds then add cold water a tbsp at a time through the top until the pastry coheres into a ball, you should need approx 2 tbsp. Wrap in cling film and cool in fridge.
- Once pastry is cool scatter your work surface with a bit of flour and roll out and line your greased tart tin with it. Cover with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove beans, prik base with fork and bake for a further 5 minutes and remove.
- Turn oven down to 180C. Warm Syrup gently then off the heat add butter and stri until melted. Beat together egg and cream and add to syrup together with breadcrumbs/oats and lemon zest. Stir.
- Spread Marmalade over the base of the pastry case, and then pour in the syrup mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the filling is just starting to firm.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 20 minutes. Serve with ice cream or cream.