- 250g basmati rice
- 2 large aubergines, cut into quarters and then wedges
Although it's technically a fruit (a berry, to be exact), the aubergine is used as a…
- 2 red peppers, cut into thin strips
- 8 spring onions, 7 quartered lengthways, 1 finely sliced
Also known as scallions or green onions, spring onions are in fact very young onions, harvested…
- 220g jar black bean sauce
- PLUS 4 tbsp groundnut or vegetable oil
Cook the rice according to pack instructions. Meanwhile, heat a wok and add the oil. When hot, stir-fry aubergines for 10-12 mins until golden and cooked through. Add peppers and spring onions, and stir-fry for about 6 mins until just tender.
Add the black bean sauce and 2 tbsp water and warm through. Serve with the basmati rice, scattered with finely sliced spring onion.
VariationsNot all brands of black bean sauce are vegetarian, so check the label. To up the protein, simply add marinated tofu pieces or, for a non-veggie option, tip a pack of large cooked prawns in with the sauce. Heat until piping hot.