Scampi cream Risotto
Member recipe by thepuppy
A very refined seafood risotto, straight from the kitchen of a very well know roman restaurant's kitchen.
- 300gr Calamari, minced
- 16 Large Scampi
- 1 Can Peeled chopped tomatoes (500ml)
- 320gr Uncle Ben's Rice
- 250ml Single Cream
- 1 Large clove of garlic
- Peperoncino, to taste
- Steam the scampi for 2 or 3 minutes, depending on their size, until they are a healthy pink. Be careful not to overcook them or they'll be tough.
- Shell the scampi and set aside the tails. Process the heads (but not the feelers). Drain in a colander for about 2 hours, reserving the liquid.
- In a pot large enough to contain the whole risotto, fry the garlic and the peperoncino on medium heat (I use about two pinches, but I have very strong peperoncino).
- Add the calamari, the tomato pulp and the liquid from the processed heads and cook until it thickens (25-30 minutes). Add the cream and mix thoroughly.
- Boil the rice half way and drain it.
- Add the rice to the calamari sauce and cook until the rice is ready.
- Finally, boil the scampi tails until they are warm enough to serve and garnish the risotto with them.
- Hint: if you want to show off like an italian (and we're all about showing off), have your bakery prepare you a deep vol-au-vent to present the risotto in.