Victoria Sponge Loaf
Member recipe by ecracker99
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Cake
- For the cake:
- 6oz (170g) Self Raising Flour
- 6oz (170g) Caster Sugar
- 4oz (115g) Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 3 large or 4 medium free range eggs
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 2 fl.oz milk
- For the filling:
- 2oz (60g) Icing Sugar
- 1oz (30g) Unsalted Butter (softened)
- Strawberry Jam
- A few drops of vanilla essence (optional)
- A few drops of food colouring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C (Electric Oven), 160C (Fan Oven) or Gas Mark 4.
- In a food processor, put in all of the ingredients and mix together until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf tin with a loaf tin paper case.
- Bake in the oven for 45 - 50 minutes or until golden brown. (To test whether or not it is cooked, press your finger lightly in the middle, if it springs up it is cooked. Alternatively, you can get a skewer, put it in the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked)
- Gently lift the paper case out of the tin and leave on a wire rack until cold.
- If butter cream is required, cream together butter and icing sugar until pale and fluffy. (Add vanilla essence and food colouring if required)
- Once the butter cream is made, use a bread knife to cut the loaf in half along the cake.
- Add the butter cream and strawberry jam.
- To add an extra feature to the cake, lightly dust some sieved icing sugar on the top.