Lime and coconut chicken
Member recipe by cmangan
Served with griddled pineapple and spicy pak choi this is a delicious combination of fresh aromatic, fruity and spicy flavours.
- 4 boneless skinned chicken breasts
- 1 tin of pineapple rings
- 2 limes
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 1 packet of pak choi
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger finely sliced
- 1 red chilli (more if you like it spicy), finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- Approx 6 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil
- Trim any fat off the chicken breasts, cut each one into quarters and place in a bowl with 2-3 tablespoons of sesame oil. Mix well to make sure all the chicken is coated, cover and leave to marinade for half an hour or so, more if you have the time.
- When marinaded, squeeze the juice of both limes and the jest of one lime over the chicken pieces and mix in well with the oil. Leave for a further five minutes or so to infuse the chicken further.
- Tip the coconut onto a plate and coat each piece of chicken. It's not an exact science so don't worry too much about getting them exactly even, as long as each has a generous dusting they will taste wonderful.
- Place the chicken pieces on to a wire rack on a baking tray (this stops them sitting in their own juices an keeps the crust crisp). Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is all cooked through. To keep the chicken really moist and tender you can cover the baking tray with silver foil for the first half of cooking and remove to let them crisp up for the second half.
- When the chicken is almost ready to serve, heat a frying and add approx 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, the crushed garlic, chopped ginger and chilli and fry until soft. Quarter the pak choi lengthways and fry for a few minutes in the oil until they have softened slightly but still have a bite. This should take no longer than 4-5 minutes. Turn regularly to coat in the oil.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan on a high heat and griddle the pineapple rings until brown griddle lines are visible on each side.
- Serve up the pak choi, chicken pieces and pineapple on plates. Delicious served with mango chutney or sweet chilli dipping sauce.