Rich Caramel Slices
Member recipe by piglet456
A thick and creamy caramel wedged in between golden pastry and cold chocolate
- For the pastry
- 115g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 175g plain flour
- 55g golden caster sugar
- Filling and topping
- 200g butter
- 115g caster sugar
- 3tbsp golden syrup
- 400g canned condensed milk
- 200g plain chocolate broken into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4. Grease and line the base of a 23cm/9inch shallow cake tin.
- Place the butter, flour and sugar in a food processor and process until they begin to bind together. Press the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 mins, or until golden.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Place the butter, sugar, golden syrup and condensed milk in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and simmer for 6-8mins, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes very thick. Remove the shortbread base form the oven, pour over the filling and chill in the fridge until firm.
- To make the topping, melt the chocolate in the in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Remove from the heat, leave to cool slightly, and then spread over the caramel. Chill in the fridge until set. Cut into 12 pieces with a sharp knife and serve.