Member recipe by pratibabhat
Kadai Vegetable, is a gravy made in a Kadai (Wok) that goes very well with jeera rice or rotis / chapatis. Moreover, this gravy is a satvik recipe i.e. it is a "no onion" and a "no garlic" recipe!
- Carrot - 2 (Chopped)
- Green Beans - 4-5 (Chopped)
- Green Peas - 1/2 cup
- Cauliflower - 2.5 cups (Cut into florets)
- Tomato - 2 medium sized (Chopped)
- Vegetable Oil - 2 tbsp
- Asafetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
- Kasuri Methi - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tbsp
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Fresh Cream - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Table Salt - 1.5 tsp
- To be ground into paste:
- Coriander Seeds - 3/4 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tbsp
- Dry red chillies - 4-5
- Cashew Nuts - 20 Whole Kernels
- Coriander Leaves - 1/2 cup (Chopped)
- Note : Use an Iron Wok / Iron Kadai for this gravy. It gives a very good taste to the dish. In a saucepan add the cauliflower florets with 1/2 tsp of turmeric and 1 tsp of salt. Add enough water to cover the florets and bring this to a boil. Let the cauliflower cook for 5 minutes in the boiling water. Keep folding the florets until all of them are coated with yellow turmeric. (This is just to ensure the cauliflower is free from maximum dirt and germs) Strain the water and keep the florets aside.
- Prepare the masala: i) Dry roast the coriander seeds for 5 minutes on a low flame. Keep it aside. ii) Dry roast the cumin seeds for 2 minutes on a low flame. Keep this aside. iii) Dry roast the red chillies for 5 minutes on a low flame. Keep this aside. iv) Dry roast the cashew kernels for 5 minutes. Keep this aside. v)Add these ingredients in a blender along with coriander leaves. Grind into a smooth paste by adding a little amount of water. Keep this aside.
- In a wok (Kadai) Add the oil, asafetida (hing) and cumin seeds. When the seeds start frying, add in the tomatoes and fry them for about five minutes on a medium flame or until all the tomatoes have mashed well.
- Add in the chopped vegetables except the cauliflower. Stir fry the vegetables for 5 minutes on a high flame and then add 1 cup of water. Cover with a lid and let this cook on a high flame for 5-6 minutes.
- After the vegetables have cooked, add in the caulifower and garam masala. Mix well.
- Next add in the masala paste that was prepared at step 2. Mix gently to coat all the vegetables with the masala.
- Lower the flame, Add the milk and cream. Mix gently. Bring it to a boil on a low flame, add kasuri methi and turn off the heat. You can garnish this with roasted cashew nuts and coriander leaves. Serve hot with Jeera rice or rotis.