Chickpea & Vegetable Soup
Member recipe by lhea-ibiza
A hearty Moroccan winter-warmer soup, full of spice and vegetables.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 fresh chilli, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely sliced
- 1 large potato, pealed & cut into cubes
- 2 cups (400g aprox) butternut squash, pealed & cut into cubes
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups green beans, washed, trimmed & chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes (or whole)
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 1 cup lentils , rinsed well
- 400g chickpeas, soaked, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1/3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- natural yoghurt
- 2 limes
- If you have been soaking the chickpeas over night, rinse and place in large pan with sufficient water to cover them well. Bring to boil, then let cook at a gentle boil for 1h 40mins. Once cooked put to one side. If using jar/tinned chickpeas skip this step.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat then add the onion, cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until soft. Next add the garlic, chilli, celery and carrot and cook for another 5 minutes, then add the coriander, cumin and fennel seeds...cook stirring for 1 more minute.
- Dice the potatoes and butternut squash the same size so they cook evenly and add to the saucepan. Add the red pepper, green beans, can of tomatoes, vegetable stock and lentils. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a gentle simmer and cook uncovered for 30mins.
- Add the chickpeas and cook a further 10 minutes. Check seasoning.
- Remove from the heat and stir in coriander and parsley.
- Serve with a small squeeze of lime, extra coriander leaves and a spoonful or two of yoghurt. Alternatively you can place each of these in small bowls on the table allowing people to serve themselves.