Member recipe by yummychips
A healthy, tasty dish with fresh trout in a bed of vegetables, topped with sliced potatoes and finished with crispy breadcrumbs and a sprinkling of cheese
- 200g potatoes, scrubbed and finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 bulb of fennel, trimmed and sliced
- 30g peas
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4 small/2 medium fillets of trout, scaled and pinboned
- 150ml single cream
- Mozzarella cheese for spinkling
- Salt and pepper
- 1 handful of fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon halved for garnish
- Chopping board
- Casserole-type pan
- Wooden spoon
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Prepare the ingredients - peel and slice the garlic, onion and fennel so that they are all equal in size. With the skin still on, finely slice the potatoes.
- Parboil the sliced potatoes in salted boiling water for a few mins untill softened. then drain them in the colander.
- Place the casserole-type pan on a heat then add the oil, garlic, onion, fennel, fennel seeds and peas. cook slowly for 10 mins with the lid on, occasionally stirring.
- Take the pan off the heat. Lay the trout fillets skin-side up, on top of the onion, fennel and peas. Spread the cream over the trout along with a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Toss the potato slices in some olive oil, salt and pepper and layer these on top of the cream.
- Place in the oven for 20 mins, spinkling it with breadcrumbs then a very small amount of grated mozzarella after 15 mins
- Remove it from the oven when the breadcrumbs look crispy and golden
- Serve with lemon slices - cut into 4-8 pieces