Member recipe by polluks80
- 75g/6 tbsp butter, melted
- 275g shortbread biscuits, crushed
- 1.5ml/ 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 25ml/ 1 1/2 tbsp powdered gelatine
- 45ml/ 3 tbsp cold water
- 2 eggs, separated
- 115g/ 1/2 cup soft light brown sugar
- 115g plain chocolate, chopped
- 175ml/ 3/4 cup brewed espresso
- 400ml/ 12/3 cups whipping cream
- chocolate curls and ground cinnamon, to decorate
- Mix the butter with the biscuits and cinnamon. Spoon into the base of a 20cm/8in loose-based tin and press down well. Chill in the fridge while making the filling.
- Sprinkle the gelatine over the cold water. Leave to soften for 5 minutes, then place the bowl over a pan of hot water and stir to desolve.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until thick. Put the chocolate in a bowl with the coffee and stir until melted. Add the egg mixture, then cook gently in a pan for 1-2 minutes until thickened. Stir in the gelatine. Leave until just beginning to set, stirring occasionally.
- Whip 150ml of the cream until soft peaks form. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold the cream into the coffee mixture, followed by the egg whites. Pour the mixture over the biscuit base and chill for 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove the torte from the tin and transfer to a serving plate. Whip the remaining cream and place a dollop on top. Decorate with chocloate curls and a little cinnamon.