South African Babootie
Member recipe by essjay77
Easy, great tasting authentic South African mince dish, great for feeding a crowd!
- For the main dish
- 1 Slice of white bread without crusts
- 400g Lamb mince
- 1 Large onion
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 100g Raisins
- 100g Apricots, chopped
- 2 Tbsp medium curry powder
- For the topping
- 1 Egg
- 250ml Milk
- Salt and Pepper
- Bay leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas 5
- In a bowl, add just enough milk to the slice of bread to soak. Fry the onion and mince until browned, and drain off any fat.
- Add 1 Egg, the vinegar, raisins, apricots and curry powder to the bowl with the soaked bread. Add the mince and onion, and mix well.
- Pour this mixture into a baking dish, ensuring the top is level.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the other egg, the milk and salt and pepper. Pour this over the top of the mince until covered.
- Push bay leaves into the mince if using, and cook for 45 minutes in the oven until topping has solidified.