Mini Victoria Sponge Cakes
Member recipe by chiaradp
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Cakes
Perfect mini cakes, exceptionally easy to make and will definitely impress!
- For the cakes:
- 110g softened butter
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- For the filling:
- 6 tbsp strawberry, raspberry or blackcurrant jam (your choice!)
- 284ml double cream (usually one carton)
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- To finish:
- 1 tsp icing sugar to dust
- Line 2x6 muffin trays with muffin cases, and preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- To make the cakes, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder and milk and whisk by hand or electric whisk slowly until the mixture is smooth with no lumps.
- Separate the mixture equally into the 12 muffin cases then bake in the oven for 15 minutes. A skewer should come out clean when the cakes are ready to come out of the oven.
- Transfer the cakes onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling, use an electric whisk to whisk the double cream and icing sugar together until the cream is thick enough to form stiff peaks. Put in the fridge while the cakes are still cooling.
- Once the cakes have completely cooled, use a sharp knife to cut the cakes in half horizontally. Spread over a generous amount of jam on one side of each of the cakes.
- Put the whipped cream in a piping bag and pipe a generous amount on the opposite side of the cakes. Sandwich the two halves together.
- Once you have dusted the tops of the cakes with icing sugar, your mini Victoria sponge cakes are ready to be served!