Scallop and Beetroot
Member recipe by binderbear
Paprika and herb fried scallops with mash and pea puree, bacon and beetroot cubes
- 4 Scallops, roe optional
- 4 medium potatoes
- Frozen peas
- 2 rashers smoked bacon
- 3 slices of pickled beetroot
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint
- Mixed herbs
- olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- double cream
- 100g butter, softened
- Boil peas in a saucepan with chopped mint and seasoning for 20 minutes or until very soft.
- Whilst peas are boiling, fry the bacon in a little olive oil until just crispy. Place on kitchen towel to drain and then, using a pair of scissors, cut into small cubes. You do not need to be precise, they can be rough shapes. Cover and put to one side.
- Take the pickled beetroot slices and using a small knife cut into small 1/2 cm cubes. Cover and put to one side.
- Once the peas are soft, drain and place in a bowl with tbsp cream. Mix and push through a sieve until smooth. Alternatively you can blend this in a food processor. Taste and add additional seasoning if needed. Cover bowl in cling film and put in fridge to chill.
- Peel potatoes and place in saucepan. Boil with seasoning for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Once the potatoes are soft, drain and place in a bowl with butter and 2 tbsp milk. Mash the potato and then run through a ricer until smooth. if you do not have a ricer you can blend this in a food processor.
- Put paprika and mixed herbs in a small bowl. Dip the scallops in lemon juice and roll them in the mix. Place in a hot pan. Cook for a minute on each side.
- To plate up: Warm the plates in an oven. Place a tbsp sided quinelle of the potato slightly to one side of the plate. Place the pea puree in a small piping bag and pipe small dots of puree around the plate. Lightly scatter the bacon and beetroot across the plate. Put the scallop on top of the potato quinelle.