Herbed Fish and Cajun Wedges
Member recipe by preetisingla
Healthy homemade alternative to fish and chips. For full recipe see http://adventuresofanaccidentalcook.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/its-all-bit-fishy-herb-crusted-fish.html
- FOR THE WEDGES
- 3-4 floury potatoes e.g. Maris Piper
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons Cajun Spice
- FOR THE FISH
- 2 white fish fillets (haddock or cod work well)
- 50g ciabatta (can be substituted for other bread e.g. baguette, sliced white bread etc.)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of quarter of a lemon
- 2 garlic cloves crushed or very finely chopped
- 1 spring onion very finely chopped
- 1heaped tablespoon fresh herbs e.g. basil, parsley, tarragon, oregano or dry mixed Italian herbs
- Salt & pepper
- Pinch of dry tarragon
- To make the wedges. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees fan.
- Cut each potato into approximately 8 wedges (lengthwise) and spread them out in a an ovenproof tray.
- Pour over the olive oil and the Cajun spice. Toss the wedges so they are all coated as evenly as possible. Add a bit more olive oil or spice if you need to.
- Place uncovered in the middle shelf of the oven for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. You should shake the tray and move the potatoes around about half way through.
- For the fish, Chop the bread into smaller pieces and whizz in a food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small frying pan. Pan fry the breadcrumbs in the oil until they brown slightly. Add the garlic, spring onions and herbs, fry for a few minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste and the lemon juice. Fry for a few minutes, it should start to thicken slightly. Take off the hob.
- Place the fish fillets into an oven tray. Drizzle on some olive oil, dry tarragon and black pepper on to the fish.
- Spoon on the breadcrumb mixture evenly between the two fillets. Pat down so it sticks to the fish a little. Cover with foil and place on the middle shelf of the oven.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Uncover the fish, it should be opaque now, if not put it back for a bit longer. Before serving it is nice to grill the fish uncovered on a medium setting for a few minutes in order to toast the breadcrumbs.