Spicy Napoletana Sauce
Member recipe by scvaughan
- 75g of pasta per person
- 1.5kg very ripe tomatoes (or tinned tomtoes with garlic)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red chili, finely chopped, de seeded
- grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- Place tomatoes in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 30 seconds. Refresh in cold water. Drain and peel. Halve, deseed and roughly chop flesh.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and bay leaves. Cover. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Partially cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves. Toss with pasta. Serve with parmesan.