Member recipe by francie22
Chickpeas and a little kelp recreate the taste of tuna. This salad is great on whole-wheat bread, smashed in a lettuce wrap, or served over a warm whole-wheat English muffin and topped with a slice of tomato.
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 celery stalks, washed
- 1 to 2 tbsp pickle relish
- ½ tsp onion flakes
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Mayo
- ½ tsp kelp powder
- ½ tsp lemon juice (optional) pepper, to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, mash chickpeas with a fork until coarse and no whole beans are left. Alternatively, pulse beans in a food processor a few times, careful not to puree, and transfer to a mixing bowl. Shred celery with a cheese grater or mince in food processor by letting the motor run. Transfer to the mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients, stirring to combine. Add more Mayo or kelp as necessary or desired.
- VARIATIONS Mediterranean Tuna Salad Stir in diced zucchini, tomatoes, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, red onions, and sliced black olives.