Versatile Microwave Flapjacks
Member recipe by khichri
It is easy to add your personal twist to this basic recipe. I usually add bananas, mango pulp, dates or orange zest, or simply spread caramel and melted chocolate on them. Irresistible! Add sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried blueberries, almonds, peanuts or apricots to the mixture before baking to make nutrient rich energy bars.
- 200 g porridge oats
- 100 g butter
- 100 g soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 150 g milk chocolate
- sultanas, nuts or dried fruits, to your liking
- Melt the butter and sugar together in the microwave
- Stir in the honey, sultanas, dried fruit, or nuts of your choice.
- Using a sturdy wooden spoon, stir in the oats. If you're using bananas, smash them lightly and mix thoroughly. The mixture should be soft.
- Tip into a greased microwave-safe baking tray and level it off. Cook on high for about five minutes or until the centre starts to bubble.
- Remove from oven, mark and cut halfway into squares and leave to cool.
- Spread melted chocolate and leave until set.