Member recipe by sweetunique
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Cake
- Oat bran or wheatabix - 1 cup
- Whole wheat pastry flour - 1/2 cup
- All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar - 1/4 cup
- Baking Powder - 2 tsp
- Organic Fat-free milk - 1 cup
- Egg whites - 2
- Honey - 1/4 cup
- Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon -1 tsp
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Blueberries or Saltanas (according to your taste) 1 cup
- A combination of your choice of nuts - almonds, pecans, walnuts, cashews. (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Mix the dry ingredients (oat bran, whole wheat pastry flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon) and set aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients (egg whites, honey, vanilla extract, milk, oil)
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix. Do not overmix.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and nuts.
- Spray a small cake tin or loaf tin with cooking spray (or grease with butter & flour) and pour the mixture into the dish and slide it into the oven.
- Let it bake for 30-35 minutes. (I had to bake mine for 40 minutes. So, please adjust according to your oven)
- Check its fully cooked through with a toothpick or a fork.
- This cake made for a wonderful combination with coffee. Ive paired it with fresh fruits for a filling and healthy breakfast. This cake is not very sweet. You can increase the amount of brown sugar or honey to suit your taste. Or drizzle some maple syrup on top for your breakfast. We have sliced it warm and spread lightly with butter like a malt loaf, very tasty.