Mushroom & Goats Cheese Parcel
Member recipe by lynnfitzpatrick
ServingsServes 1 - 6 Parcels
- For the mushroom parcel
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, crushed
- 100g/ 3½oz butter
- 500g/1lb 2oz chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 500g/1lb 2oz assorted wild mushrooms, sliced
- handful spinach
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 350g/12oz blue goats' cheese
- 6 pieces puff pastry, 15cm/6in square, 3mm½in thick
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- vegetable oil
- For the brandy and peppercorn sauce
- 150ml/5½fl oz brandy
- 300ml/10½fl oz double cream
- 1 tbsp green peppercorns in brine, drained
- For the mushroom parcel, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onion and garlic for 10-15 minutes, or until softened and caramelised. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the butter in the same pan used to cook the onions until foaming. Fry the chestnut and wild mushrooms for 8-10 minutes, or until cooked through. Drain the mushrooms well and set aside to cool.
- Mix the cooked onions, mushrooms and spinach together in a bowl until the spinach has wilted. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place a piece of cheese into the middle of each piece of puff pastry, top with a spoonful of the mushroom mixture and roll up into parcels. Place the parcels onto a greased baking tray, brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle over the poppy seeds. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown.
- Meanwhile, for the brandy and peppercorn sauce, simmer the brandy in a saucepan over a medium heat until one tablespoon of liquid remains. Stir in the double cream and peppercorns and cook for a further 4-5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened slightly. To serve, place a parcel onto each of six serving plate and spoon over some of the sauce.