Cheese & onion bread
Member recipe by rosiejames
Easy-to-make irresistible cheese and onion bread. Crumbly but moist with a crunchy crust.
- 300g plain flour
- 25g caster sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 115g cheddar cheese, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 125ml milk
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- Preheat a fan oven to 200 degrees celsius. Line a baking tray with tin foil and lightly sprinkle with flour.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cheese, and onion in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg, milk and sunflower oil.
- In small quantities, gradually add the wet mixture to the dry until a sticky dough is formed. Careful - you may not need to use all of the wet mixture!
- On a floured surface, roughly shape the dough into a flattened ball and place on the prepared baking tray. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until cooked. The crust should be golden brown and starting to darken. A knife should come out clean when placed into the bread.
- Enjoy warm, straight out of the oven or when cooled.