Scrumptious Victoria sponge!
Member recipe by 08thankarajd
This is a wonderful classic. With its simplicity, it is one of the most lightest and tastiest sponge cake ever! It's VeRy Quick and easy to make!. Perfect with a bowl of fresh strawberries!
- 225g (8oz) unsalted butter or margarine
- 225g (8oz) castor sugar or vanilla sugar (rose petal sugar)
- 4 large eggs
- 225g (8oz) self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tblsp of milk or water to add if necessary
- For the filling
- 425ml (3/4 pint) whipped cream
- strawberry jam
- 2 x 20cm (8 inch) sandwich tins
- Before you do anything else, pre-heat the oven to 182 degrees C/360 degrees F/Gas mark 4_. Prepare two 20cm (8inch) sandwich tins by greasing them thoroughly and lining the base with non stick parchment. Make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature.
- Ã¢Â Place the butter in a mixing bowl and beat it until it is pale and light. Add the sugar and continue beating until it's light and fluffy. Break the eggs into a separate bowl and beat them lightly.
- Add the eggs a spoon at a time to the batter mix, beating in each addition thoroughly before adding the next.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together. Use a large metal spoon, fold in the sieved flour to the egg and butter mixture. The mix should now be ready.
- Divide the mixture equally between the two prepared tins. Tap the tins down gently to expel any large air pockets and level the cakes. Place into the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- When ready, cool on a cooling wire rack and remove the baking parchment. When completely cool, prepare the filling with the strawberry jam and cream and sandwich the two sponges together.