Healthy Bread Pudding
Member recipe by rose93
This recipe proves Bread Pud doesn't have to be unhealthy, as it has almost no added sugar or fat and still tastea great!
- 400g wholemeal bread
- 50g wholemeal extra strong bread flour
- 500g mixed dried fruit
- 450ml skimmed milk
- 150ml apple or pear juice
- 1 egg white
- 40g flora light (or other reduced fat margarine)
- 3tbsp caster sugar
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp mixed spice
- zest of a lemon (optional)
- tear the bread into pieces and place in a large bowl. Add the flour, spices, sugar and mixed fruit. Also add the lemon peel if using.
- Add the egg, and mix to combine. Then add the milk and fruit juice. Stir everything together to make a fairly soggy, gloopy mixture.
- Melt the margarine and add to the bread mixture. Stir it in.
- Pour the mixture into a deep loaf tin or other baking tray of similar size. The deeper it is the longer it will take to bake.
- Bake in the oven at 200 degrees celcius for 1 hour. After the first 30 minutes, cover with tinfoil to avoid burning the top.
- When the bread pudding is done, take out of the oven but leave in the tin to cool over night. If you take it out at this stage it will be very crumbly and may collapse! It tastes best the next day after it has cooled and become firm.