Charis' Chicken Casserole
Member recipe by pinkcorgi
A simple recipe to use up vegetables and great as a family recipe. Can be frozen.
- 3 tbsp of oil (eg olive, sunolive, sunflower)
- 1 onion (red or brown), peeled and finely chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 baking potato, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped (remove the string by peeling gently with a peeler)
- 4 chicken breasts, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp of thyme (dried or fresh)
- 500ml stock (vegetable or chicken)
- Optional glass of white wine, approx 50ml
- You will need a stockpot measuring 24cm to cook the whole dish. Smaller casserole dishes will do but the mixture may be too big.
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan, 180C electric oven or Gas mark 4. Prepare the vegetables and chicken, and set aside. Heat the oil on a low heat for a couple of minutes. Then, add the onion and chicken. Gently heat the two for five minutes, stirring continously until the chicken is cooked but not brown.
- Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Then, add the potatoes, leek and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring continously.
- Add the tomato puree and stir through. Then, add the flour and stir through. (If you are choosing to add wine, do so now.)
- Prepare the stock and add gradually. The stock should just cover the mixture. Add the thyme.
- Put the casserole in the oven. Check half-way through and give it a stir. Then put it back into the oven until it's cooked through. Serve as it is or with bread.