Carrot and Bean Burger
Member recipe by kiixi
ServingsServes 1 - 6 Pieces
Flavourful, carrot and bean burgers whichvmake a great lunch dish and they are freezable.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 15ml vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 450g carrots, chopped
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 200ml vegetable stock
- ground black pepper
- 1 (400g) can mixed beans, drained
- 75g fresh wholewheat breadcrumbs
- 3tbsp chopped fresh coriander or mint
- a little spray olive oil or brush
- rolls and salad leaves to serve
- In a large pan, heat the oil and then add the onion. Saute for 2 mins. Add the garlic, carrots, cumin and coriander and stir for a further 1 minute. Pour in the stock, season well and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 10-15 mins or until the carrots are tender. Leave to cool.
- Drain the carrots and mash them until lump free. Add the drained beans and mash again until a rough mash is formed. Stir in the breadcrumbs and coriander or mint. Mix well and season to taste and leave to cool.
- Divide the mixture into six. Using wet hands, shape each piece into a burger approx 2.5cm/1in thick. The burgers can be chilled at this point if you are not serving them immediately. (Place the burgers on a paper lined baking tray and freeze until solid. Wrap in bags then freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in a single layer on a baking tray before cooking.)
- Preheat the oven to 220C/Fan200C and put a large baking sheet in to preheat. Spray or brush a little oil on both sides of the burgers, place onto the hot baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 mins or until a pale golden colour.