Lentil and mushroom chilli
Member recipe by davidnunn1
- 125g Red lentils
- 150g Green lentils
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
- (chillies, finely chopped - number according to taste)
- 3 cloves garlic
- chopped mushrooms
- olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- sun blushed tomatoes, chopped
- squirt tomato puree
- squirt garlic puree
- 500 ml stock
- 1 tin red kidney beans
- splashes of soy sauce (light & dark)
- splash of fish-free Worcestershire sauce
- (splash of red wine - optional)
- 3 bay leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, then add spices (cumin, coriander and chilli) to the hot oil for a few seconds. Add onion, garlic, carrot and chilies and cook for a few minutes until onion softens. Add chopped mushrooms, and continue to cook for a few minutes until mushrooms soften. Add washed lentils and stir for a minute. Add stock, tomato and garlic puree, bay leaves, soy sauces and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to simmer the lentils. Cook for an hour at low heat, stirring regularly, and adding boiling water when the contents start to stick to the pan. Towards the end, add tin of kidney beans. Can use the juice from the can in addition to the boiling water additions.
- Done when the lentils are soft.
- Options & serving suggestions: can add finely chopped celery, fresh chillies (according to taste), red wine to flavour. I prefer to eat with mashed potato, but of course would go with rice. Chilli powder varies in strength - I only used 1 tsp, but it is a very fiery batch!