Freekeh with Meat
Member recipe by riwasa
- 2 cups Freekeh (the coarse one for main dishes, it's made out of green wheat, can be found in Middle Eastern stores)
- 1kg. (2.2 lbs) lamb shanks without the bone or you can substitute tender beef cubes
- 1 medium onion finely chopped for the Freekeh, 1 medium onion chopped to cook the meat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil for cooking the Freekeh, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil for cooking the meat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons of cooking almonds peeled and separated in half
- 2 tablespoons of pine nuts
- For more recipes like this go to www.cookican.com
- Wash the Freekeh really well and then put it a strainer till the water is all out.
- Put 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil with 1 finely chopped onion in a cooking pot. Fry the onion till it slightly changes color. Then put the meat in the pot and fry it with onion till it is semi cooked or becomes a darker color. Then put 4 cups water. After it boils, put it on low temperature and let it cook for 1 hour or till the meat is fully cooked. The meat should be very soft. Strain the meat broth (so the onions are out). Put the meat and the meat broth aside.
- Get a large cooking pot and 1 medium finely chopped onion (for the Freekeh). Put 3 tablespoons olive to fry the onion till it is semi-fried. Add the Freekeh with all the spices and stir fry it for a few minutes. Then put your meat broth on top. It will take 20-25 minutes to cook the Freekeh on low to medium temperature. Cover your pot.
- In a pan, fry the almonds and pine nuts in 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil separately.
- After the Freekeh is done, put it in a serving plate and put the meat on top. Then put the fried almonds and pine nuts on top of the Freekeh.