Couscous with Winter Vegetable
Member recipe by moosefactoryuk
- 2 large pinches of saffron
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 3-inch piece of cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 to 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into ½-inch wedges and then halved
- 225g small turnips, peeled and cut into ½-inch wedges
- 225g carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 3 medium-sized parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 225g pound squash cut into chunks 1½ inches long
- 1 cup chick-peas
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup peas
- The red sauce:
- 1 teaspoon harissa
- 1 cup broth from the vegetables
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- The couscous:
- 2½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups instant couscous
- fry onion in butter on medium 1-2 mins. Add spices and cook 3 mins.
- Add the turnips, carrots, parsnips, squash, chick-peas, raisins, jalapeÃÂ±o, cilantro, parsley and water. Boil then simmer 25 mins covered. Add peas and cook 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, whisk sauce ingredients on the boil for 1 min then remove.
- Sort out couscous.
- Serve couscous topped with veg and sauce on side.