Member recipe by missingb451
A light but tasty Chocolate Cake that you can fill or top with whatever you fancy!
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 200g Light Muscovado Sugar
- 200g Baking Margarine
- 5 Large Eggs - Separated
- 50g dark chocolate (90% cocoa)
- 2 tbsp Golden Syrup
- Grease 2 x 7 inch sponge tins. Line base of the tins with baking parchment. Heat oven to 125c/ gas mark 1
- Sift together flour and cocoa powder. Separate egg whites from yolks.
- Gently melt dark chocolate. in a small saucepan bring to the boil around 2 inches of water. Break up chocolate and put in a bowl and put bowl over the saucepan. DO NOT let the bowl touch the water. Stir until melted and set aside
- In a separate bowl mix baking margarine and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Whisk egg whites to soft peaks.
- Mix egg yolks into sugar and baking margarine. Mix in the melted chocolate and golden syrup. Gently mix in the sifted flour
- Gradually FOLD egg whites into mix. Do not beat or mix vigorously as this will knock all the air out of the cake.
- Divide between the two tins. level out the mixture with a spatula or spoon and smooth to the edges
- Place on a middle shelf in the oven and set your timer to 20 minutes. After 20 minutes check to ensure they are not burning! Set timer for another 20 min. Check again. Set timer for 10 minutes. After this 10 minutes insert a skewer (or small sharp knife) into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean its done, if not set for another 10 minutes and repeat skewer test. If still not done leave in the oven but check EVERY 5 minutes with the skewer.
- When cooked, remove from oven and leave to cool IN the tin on a baking rack. Make sure the cakes are COOL before filling/topping. I used Strawberry buttercream in the middle which was yum!