Beef and mushroom cannelloni
Member recipe by mrsdrink
- FOR FILLING (two thirds used in this recipe - other third is left over to have with a jacket potato)
- 500g lean steak mince
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 225g mushrooms (preferably chestnut) sliced
- 1 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 450g tomato passata
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 8 wholewheat lasagne sheets
- FOR TOPPING
- 300ml semi skimmed milk
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 4 tsps cornflour
- 1 tsp english mustard powder
- 1 tbsp white wine
- 50g mature cheddar cheese
- While doing the rest of the steps: cook the lasagne in plenty of water, removing after 5 mins and covering with cold water to prevent further cooking.
- Dry fry mince, then drain to remove the fat, set aside on a plate.
- Add onion & garlic and cook until soft. Then add mushrooms until soft.
- Return beef, and add soy sauce, beef stock cube sprinkled over, passata and herbs and simmer 15-20 minutes
- Place dollops of the filling into the middle of the lasange sheets, roll up and place into an ovenproof dish. Continue with all sheets and pour any remaining mixture over the top (if there is any)
- Heat the milk in a jug or bowl.
- Add a little cold water to the cornflour to slake it, stir into the hot milk stirring continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer 2-3 minutes
- Pour the sauce over and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes