Rotterdam beetroot (krootjes)
Member recipe by menecairiel
A family recipe from Rotterdam, Holland, this is a quick and tasty way for everyone to enjoy beetroots!
- 750 gram cooked beetroot
- 2 onions
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roughly grate the beetroot.
- Put it in a large pan, no oil, and warm it up on a medium heat. There will naturally be some liquid from the beetroot.
- Add the corn flour and sugar coat the beet root. It will create a bit of a thicken liquid around it. This will take about five to ten minutes.
- Chop the onion relatively fine.
- Season the beetroot with salt and pepper after taste.
- Add half the raw onion to the beetroot and take off heat. Keep the rest of the onion on the table for those that prefer an extra onion kick! Serve with any meat. It is especially nice with meatballs, roasted meats or even just fried bacon!